The New York Institution for the Blind circa 1833
The first class met on the 15th of March, 1832 with the instruction of three blind children from the Alms House. On May 19th the number increased to six. It was the first attempt of its kind in America. James Boorman, the first benefactor of the school, donated in 1833 this mansion in the outskirts of Manhattan in New York City for a rent of one peppercorn per year.