#ThrowbackThursday: Animal Husbandry in the 1940 and 1950s
During World War II with the need for Victory Gardens for growing foods, the New York Institute started a program for raising animals. It eventually lead to a service dog program called Buddies Incorporated. The students were given companion dogs and learned how to groom and care for pets.
The brick service building next to the Pelham Parkway guard house was part of the program and much of the parking area next to it for many decades was known as “the kennels”.