The New York Institute For Special Education

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
· Serving Students with Special Needs since 1831 ·
9th Avenue Buildings » 1926

1926

The New York Institution for the Blind circa 1926
The New York Institution for the Blind circa 1926This is the last known photograph of the school. By the beginning of the 20th century, the school was actively seeking relocation. Surrounded on three sides by an elevated subway, a major postal facility and the major national train depot, the once quiet neighborhood was pulsing with the beat of New York City's urban rhythms. In 1922 construction began on a new facility in the Bronx, the present location of the Institute.