The New York Institute for Special Education(NYISE) is a private, 501(c)(3) nonprofit, nonsectarian educational facility which provides quality programs for children who are blind or visually disabled, emotionally and learning disabled and preschoolers who are developmentally delayed.
The school was founded in 1831 as The New York Institution for the Blind as one of the first schools in the United States to provide an educational program for children who were blind or visually impaired.
Early in the twentieth century, the name was changed to The New York Institute for the Education of the Blind to emphasize the educational character of the school.
This website has an extensive history of the school, and a major collection of disability links called the Blindness Resource Center and hundreds of photos of our school activities.
It was during the summer of 1831, that Board of Manager Samuel Akerly and Dr. John D. Russ were given permission to visit the Almshouses of New York City. On March 15, 1832, 3 boys began their education in the care of Dr. Russ at the home of a widow on Canal Street by Dr. Russ. This date marks the first class of instruction to the blind children in the United States.
We are proud to announce that our Executive Director, Bernadette M. Kappen, Ph.D. will be receiving the prestigious Irving P. Schloss Advocacy Award from the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) on March 3, 2017, at their annual Leadership Conference in Virginia.