The New York Institute For Special Education

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
· Serving Students with Special Needs since 1831 ·
9th Avenue Buildings » 1905

1905

The New York Institution for the Blind circa 1905
Not the most complimentary looking photograph of the school building, this circa 1905 photograph does show the retaining wall at the far right edge constructed to protect the students during the construction of Pennsylvania Station. At this time, the entire 4th floor of the center building were devoted to a chapel, music classrooms and the piano tuning department. The ends of the floor at both wings provided space for nine rooms for older boys and girls, each accommodating four pupils.